The Hunger Games Sets Box Office Record
You never think it’s possible to beat Twilight but here’s one that did. The Hunger Games set a new record as the third best weekend-opening box office takings with US$155 million, beating the likes of Spider-Man, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Twilight movies.
Only The Dark Knight and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows are ahead with $158.5 million and $169.2 million respectively.
The Hunger Games, based on the young adult fantasy novels by Suzanne Collins tells of a dystopian future that televises tournaments where teenagers are selected to fight to the death and looks set to make its stars, Jennifer Lawerence and Liam Hemsworth the next big things.
Here are the Top 10 highest weekend box office takings:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, $169.2 million
2. The Dark Knight, $158.4 million
3. The Hunger Games, $155 million
4. Spider-Man 3, $151.1 million
5. The Twilight Saga: New Moon, $142.8 million
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1, $138.1 million
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, $135.6 million
8. Iron Man 2, $128.1 million
9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, $125 million
10. Shrek the Third, $121.6 million
I can’t be the only one wondering what’s Shrek the Third doing up there.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.